Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Best Years of My Life

1962 to 1995 were times of great adventure 
by John H.


I was employed for 33 years with the company and it was gratifying to be associated with such fine people—co-workers, managers, engineers and flight crews of various aircraft. One of my greatest adventures as an instrumentation technician with Lockheed Martin was working on the SR-71 project at Edwards Air Force Base in Palmdale, California. My “finest hour” was observing the launch of two SR-71 and YF-12A Blackbirds on a Saturday morning. It was May 1, 1965. A record-setting speed of 2,000 mph was set and a record-setting altitude of 80,258 feet was attained. I was proud to work on these aircraft! A company patch depicting the event was made available and is a personal treasure.

Another event that comes to mind was in 1988. A contest was held at Site 2 in Palmdale where the Blackbird and U-2 were housed. My design of a patch depicting the event was selected among 25 other entries and I was given a jacket as a prize. Winning this contest was another proud moment.

Thank you for the memories!


A patch commemorating the records set on May 1, 1965 is a treasured memento.

I'm proud of my award-winning patch!