Saturday, June 1, 2013

Discovering the Plasma Universe

I was a research scientist at Palo Alto Research Laboratories
by David K.


In the mid-1980s, I joined Lockheed’s Palo Alto Research Laboratories as a research scientist. I had the opportunity to work alongside some of the country's most highly regarded senior space physicists. Among them were Joseph Reagan, Edward Shelley, Richard Johnson and Martin Walt. I was privileged to be affiliated with "The Labs" for a decade-and-a-half. My colleagues in the Space Plasmas Laboratory and the closely related Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory produced some of the most sophisticated spaceflight instruments ever developed to understand the geospace and solar plasma environments. The participation by a corporate aerospace giant in fundamental discoveries of the plasma universe was an enigma for a field of study typified by university and government laboratories and represents a real feather in the cap for Lockheed Martin.