Monday, August 20, 2012

A Watershed Moment

I realized this is why we work hard and sacrifice
by Kim H.

As a young engineer, I was working on a multi-mode radar (for the F-20 Tigershark) for GE Aerospace in Utica, New York. I was learning multi-mode radar technology, software design and integration and test, all at the same time. I was immersed in the technology, wonder and excitement of making a radar happen. Flight testing for days on end, working tirelessly in the lab to make the radar work. 

One day, we saw a video of the actual test pilot using the radar in air combat mode, listening to the comments and reaction to our work product we had just delivered. All of a sudden, I realized that this is why we are working 24/7, trying to meet the needs of our customers. We work hard and sacrifice to enable the military to have what they need to stay safe themselves and keep us safe at home. I realized our real purpose and mission. I realized way back then who we work for!

That radar is still going today in the form of the GD-53 Radar for the Taiwanese government. Still operating today after 27 years. Amazing!