Monday, August 27, 2012

The Evolution of a Culture of Health

The best is yet to come
by Marleece B.

I started my career with Lockheed Martin in 2000, just four years after I completed medical training. As site physician, I was responsible for occupational health. Fitness and wellness was a personal passion, but a small component of my work responsibility. My work group refurbished an old worksite fitness center with commitment from Lockheed Martin and NASA leadership. It was phenomenal to see fitness equipment on site. Employees could improve their strength and endurance, and even relieve stress. That milestone marked the beginning of my personal mission to improve the health and well-being of Lockheed Martin employees.

I left the company in 2006, but returned in 2011 to continue my personal mission. I could not have anticipated the strides made in the past six years. There is a robust and complete Health & Wellness organization. A medical infrastructure supports the health and well-being of over 120,000 Lockheed Martin employees. We have Regional Managing Physicians and teams of health professionals in on-site Wellness Centers across the country. Numerous programs support employees and their families to be the healthiest they can be. From tobacco cessation support to Virgin HealthMiles fitness challenges, to health coaching and condition management programs available through the integrated LM HealthWorks Plan, I’ve seen a consistent commitment from Lockheed Martin to the health of its employees.

We’re aiming to become the healthiest workforce in the aerospace and defense industry. I’ve seen a significant and magnificent transformation over the past 12 years … and I believe the best is yet to come.