Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Before We Were Born

Lockheed Martin has always been a part of our lives
by Mary Denise and Rex T.

Lockheed Martin was a part of my life even before I was born. My father retired from Lockheed in 1972. Our home was always in North Hollywood, minutes from Lockheed Burbank. The highlight of my dad's years at Lockheed included two trips to the South Pole in 1947 (I was three) and again in 1957, with Operation Deep Freeze. Since Admiral Richard Byrd was a boyhood hero of my dad’s, it was almost unbelievable to him to have such opportunities. My father’s years in field service took him to post-World War II Europe for several years, and we were blessed to be able to be with him during those years.

My husband, Rex, worked for Lockheed from 1967 to 1985. His father (Rex Sr.) retired from Lockheed in 1973. My husband’s father (Rex Sr.) was responsible for encouraging my husband to apply for work at Lockheed. It was just months before a wedding in both Rex is thought Lockheed would be a good future for small aircraft pilot who was ready to work on the ground. In fact, even my brother-in-law worked for Lockheed in the 1970s.

Both our fathers are now deceased, but both moms (95 and 91) are still enjoying the blessings of having been a part of the Lockheed family for longer than we've both been alive. We are thankful every month when our retirement benefits arrive! God bless you, and keep Lockheed Martin strong in every way.

Operation Deep Freeze: 1955