Saturday, May 4, 2013

I Was the First

My story begins in 1949
by Charles A.

I am now 94 years old, and my story with the Glenn L. Martin Company begins in 1949. I worked as a junior layout engineer. Approximately two years later, I was elevated to a senior layout engineer. Not long after, l was sent to Orlando, Florida, to help open an interim facility, close to Cape Canaveral. The company was in the process of building a plant in Florida. I was fortunate to be asked to be the plant layout supervisor, and I accepted. In the interim facility, we set up a line to manufacture the Bullpup missile and the Lacrosse missile. I have many memories of Mr. Martin and Mr. George Bunker, who succeeded him as company president. It wasn’t long after that, when the company bought American-Marietta out of Georgia. If you look in the archives, you will see the book written by Mr. Harwood called Raise Heaven and Earth. I was the very first person transferred from the Baltimore plant to Florida. I was put out to pasture in other words I was laid off in 1957. I could tell many more stories about the company, but I guess this was enough.


Bullpup Missile