Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hired in 1936

I worked in aviation’s “Golden Age”
By Robert H.

I was born on February 25, 1914, and I am now 99 years old. I was the recipient of two scholarships. One was a Pittsburgh Honor Scholarship of $150 a year from Central Catholic High School; the other was from  the State of Pennsylvania of $100 a year. I was able to enroll at Carnegie Institute of Technology where the tuition was $300 a year. I majored in mechanical aeronautics and was selected to three honor societies.

I was hired by the Glenn L. Martin Company in June 1936 as a junior stress engineer at 62-1/2 cents an hour ($110 per month). I worked on the structures on all Martin planes during my tenure. I eventually became chief structural engineer.

At age 53, I left Martin to join Goddard Space Flight Center to work on satellites. I retired at age 65. I enjoyed all my work.

Martin's China Clipper