Thursday, May 23, 2013

I Was One of Five

We found the perfect location for the new Martin plant
by Robert B.

I began my employment in 1954 at the Glenn L. Martin Company in Middle River, Maryland. The company decided to expand our division to Denver, Colorado, to build the Titan vehicle. I was one of five chosen to go to Denver to select and purchase land for the new facility. We operated for months out of hotels and downtown office buildings while the facility was being built. The number of employees was growing. The site we selected was perfect, as it was in a canyon that muted the noise when the engines for the launch vehicles were fired. After taking early retirement from Martin Marietta, I join Toyota Motor Sales, USA, and retired as a group vice president and corporate officer for United States operations.