Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It Was the Greatest Company Ever

Nearly my whole family worked at Lockheed-California
by John McE.

I had the privilege of working at Lockheed-California Company in Burbank. Several family members, including two cousins, Estalee and Roberta; my brother, Gene and his wife; and two sisters, Bonnie and Carol, all worked there. Added up, our Lockheed legacy is more than 150 years!

I hired in at the B-1 Plant as a sandblaster, working on parts for the L-1011, the C-130 and the C-5A. I was laid off for a short season, and I was then called back to work as a security officer in both the “white and dark worlds.” I worked mostly in classified programs and was required to have a Security Clearance for the SR-71 Blackbird, the F-117 Nighthawk and the F-22 Raptor. I worked for Chief Peavy and Director Ken Mims.

I worked as much time as I could, and when the company left Burbank and moved to Georgia, I was laid off. All of the guys who had more seniority said, “Mac, we are really sorry to see you go because you taught us all how to work overtime.” A lot of days were double shift.

I want to say I really enjoyed my tenure with Lockheed beyond description.