Monday, May 13, 2013

The Power of Persuasion

I helped sell a “ton of concrete”
by Vivian B.

I am 90 years old. I worked as a secretary at Martin Marietta for 16-1/2 years. For six years, I was secretary for the company president and four vice-presidents. I was also the project secretary when new plant was built. I recall attending Dale Carnegie course and gave a program on safety shapes. Safety shapes were concrete barriers used in construction sites and were just beginning to be used in the eastern United States. Tim Henson, a company engineer, helped me. I had handouts for all the course attendees. Weeks later, I ran into a fellow class member. He was a bigwig in transportation for Illinois. They purchased safety shapes because of my program. He said I'd never know how much cement I helped to sell!