Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Modern Factory, a Fine Career

Martin Marietta defined my personal history
by Thornton B.

My dad and uncle began work at the Martin Marietta cement plant in Thomaston, Maine, in the 1950s. The plant was a very desirable place to work because of the high pay and generous benefits. It was difficult to get hired as there were few openings.
Fortunately for me, I had family members working there, and that helped me to get hired as temporary laborer in 1969. The company and the work environment were an ideal match, and I had the opportunity to become a full-time employee, advancing to management a few years later. Although the cement plant was sold by Martin Marietta in 1983, and has had several owners over the years, the opportunities for advancement and career fulfillment were still possible.
Although Dad had retired in 1977, he still had the opportunity to see his son become the plant manager in 1994. I have since retired after 39 years in the same place, but will always look back and remember that Martin Marietta gave me the chance to have a fine career in an industry that was far removed from what my were youthful aspirations. A modern version of the plant is still operating and has been a vital part of the local economy for nearly 100 years. Martin Marietta has had a significant part of that history as well as a defining part of my personal history.