Thursday, February 28, 2013

Safeguarding Our Nation

This missile’s performance is impressive, even today
by Robert M.

I began working for the Martin Company in 1961. My most interesting and challenging assignment was the design of radiation-hard operational and servo amplifiers for the Sprint Anti-Missile System autopilot. In spite of the very difficult specifications for radiation hardness and performance, the Sprint missile earned essentially all of the incentive awards specified in our contract. Even though it was built and deployed in the 1960s, Sprint performance is impressive even by today’s standards. Interestingly, in my last job, I served as a senior research scientist for sensor applications for the Army organization that was responsible for development of the Sprint, the Space and Missile Defense Command in Huntsville, Alabama.

I am forever grateful to Lockheed Martin for supporting me while I earned two advanced degrees– a Master of Science from Rollins College and a Ph.D. from the University of Florida, both in physics.

I am forever grateful!