Sunday, February 24, 2013

Just Another Day on the Job

I witnessed a Titan missile test launch
by Robert M.

It was 1960, and the end of my senior year at West High School in Denver. I was just hired in the mailroom at Martin Marietta Company’s Waterton Plant, only to find my route is into the test stands in the canyon.

I'm in awe. I had never seen so many suits and ties, having come out of the west side of Denver and at my first real job.

On my second mail stop at test stand #2, as I was delivering mail, red lights and claxons went off suddenly. A speaker announced a countdown for test firing of the Titan II launch missile had started. We were all led into the test bunkers and one of the scientists led me to a viewing slit in the bunker. I heard, “… five, four, three, two, one. Fire!” My heart jumped at the power and steam and thrust and the bunker vibrating with the noise. All I can say is what a way to experience a day on the job in the mailroom.