Thursday, February 28, 2013

We Constructed Everything

Our plant was Seattle’s biggest builder
by James K.

I worked for Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company from April 1969 until the plant closed in 1987. During most of the 1970s, West Coast shipbuilding was booming. We constructed everything from large Navy support ships to a space cargo transport system for Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.

My specific responsibility was testing completed structural and mechanical systems and near the end of my service, maintaining the plans and schedules for the test and trials organization. The closing of the shipyard was a difficult time for us, but the economics of shipbuilding had moved to the Gulf and the East Coast.

I was one of the employees chosen to "lock" the gates, but received an excellent job offer a few months prior to closing and chose to leave early. I enjoyed my time with the company and still have friendships with several former co-workers.  Had the plant not closed I surely would have completed my working days with the company.

I enjoyed my time with these wonderful ships.