Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Life-Changing Experience, a Chance Encounter

Innovation changed my life forever
by H. R.

In the late 1980s, I worked as a software engineer on a system designed and built at the Lockheed Missiles and Space Company Denver Engineering Lab in Aurora, Colorado, for a DoD customer in Washington, D.C. The near real-time system featured cutting-edge graphics workstations hosted on an innovative fully fault-tolerant system that included a "pre-TCP/IP" inter-networking capability. I accompanied the system to the customer facility and spent the following year as the 24/7 on-site support engineer. That was a life-changing experience! The system was a key component of time-sensitive Department of Defense operations, and during that period I met a lovely system user, my future wife.