Sunday, February 3, 2013

Chronicling a 70-Year History

My father was hired by Glenn L. Martin in the 1920s
by Lee S.

My father, Paul. L. Snowberger, was hired by Glenn L. Martin in the mid-1920s as an aero-engineer at the factory plant in Cleveland Ohio. In those days, engineers, my father included, "followed the work" to other airplane companies, including among several others, the Lockheed plant in California.

Eventually my father returned to the East Coast with the Glenn L. Martin Company again, this time in Middle River, Maryland. He was assigned to the B-26 Marauder program, and was responsible for turret design and systems support, obtaining a patent for the oscillating oxygen and communications connectivity. He spent a good bit of time at Omaha's Offutt AAF Base during World War II, while his family (and I) remained in Baltimore. (I was also later assigned in the 1960s to Offutt as a USAF officer at SAC Headquarters.)

Dad remained with Martin through 1949. We then we moved to Seattle, where he worked on the Boeing SST program, and later on the Boeing 747 cargo floor handling system. He retired from Boeing for health reasons in the mid-1960s.

After my 24 years in the USAF, I retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and joined Martin Marietta supporting a systems engineering program at Denver and later the FAA as an engineer with the Systems Engineering Integration Contract program. I retired from Martin Marietta in 1993.


Dad was responsible for the Marauder's turret design..