Monday, February 4, 2013

Rocketing into the Information Age

I was at the right place, at the right time
by Ralph G.

After graduating from the University of Florida in 1953, I went to work for the Glenn L. Martin Company in Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Martin was still alive at the time. For the next four years, I worked on a variety of missile projects, including the MGM-1 Matador, the P5M Marlin, the P6M SeaMaster, the Titan and the MGM-18 Lacrosse. It was Lacrosse that brought me back to Florida to help open a new facility in Orlando in 1957.

A year later, the company acquired a new digital computer (wow, it was big). I was transferred for a “minimum of one year” to be a computer programmer. That year turned out to be 30 years, and my duties grew. During that time, computers became more prominent, a new part of the company was formed, and I was one of the earliest employees of Data Systems. Those 30 years resulted in a completely new part of my education. The company name changed from the Glenn L. Martin Company to the Martin Company and then to Martin Marietta. Progress was made, and for 35 years, I was a small part of that.