Thursday, April 25, 2013

1951, the Year of the YC-130

I started my Lockheed career at 18 years old
by Mary Frances C.

I started at Lockheed-Georgia on September 17, 1951. I was 18 and just out of high school. At the time, I worked on the top mezzanine, where there was no air conditioning. Needless to say, we got extremely warm. One of the ladies in my department went to the B-2 Building and got to see Jimmy Carmichael (the first general manager of Lockheed-Georgia) to tell him we needed air. He sent over fans for us to use.

At the time, we had 24,000 people there. The traffic was horrible and leaving at 3:30 with thousands of people was a challenge, but we made it just fine.

I worked in 17 different departments at Lockheed, including the employment office on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, across from Crawford Long Hospital and the Tower Theater. I worked in several departments on the line, and I worked on the C-5 proposal. That was an amazing effort, and I worked seven days a week, 12 hours a day!

My husband started working at Lockheed in 1953 when he got out of the Army, and he stayed until 1990 when he retired. I had to leave in 1975 due to sickness and the death of my father.

Of all the places I have worked in my life, Lockheed was definitely my favorite. That was one job I didn’t mind going to everyday. We had good wages and excellent benefits. If I could have stayed at Lockheed Martin and could still be working, I would be starting my 62nd year!