Thursday, April 4, 2013

Airplanes in the 1930s and Rockets in the 1950s

I turned 94 in 2012
by Alvin S.

I turned 94 years old in December 2012. I worked at Martin for 28 years and have many fond memories. I started working there in 1937 right out of high school. It was my first job. I built airplanes during the World War II and feel that this was a great way to serve my country. After the War, another Martin employee, a pretty time keeper caught my eye. We dated for six months and married in March of 1947. Our marriage lasted 62 yearsI was always proud that I was a project leader who helped build the Vanguard, a rocket commissioned by the Navy. This was in the 1950s, at the very beginning of the Technological Age. It was successful as one of the first satellites to orbit the earth. It's still there! I am still here too, and happy to have been able to be a part of Lockheed Martin's accomplishments during the past 100 years.


Vanguard Rocket