Sunday, April 21, 2013

Readying for Takeoff

Working in aviation has been a family affair
by Katherine P.

I was fortunate to have known Kelly Johnson and Ben Rich and many great people. Lockheed was the best employer I ever had and part of my family history for decades.

I worked for Lockheed twice, from 1966 to 1968 at ADP, and then from 1979 to 1991 at A-1 and ADP. I worked for engineering services as an Ozalid operator and document control clerk. I worked on the U-2, SR-71, L-1011, the supersonic passenger jet proposal and the F-117.

A few of my family members also worked at Lockheed. My grandfather, Ivan W Bowen, worked at Lockheed in the 1940s. My father, Francis Shanks, worked there in 1941. My uncle, Ed Shanks, was head of engineering at A-1 from the 1940s through the 1980s. My aunt, Marjory Crowder, worked from 1951 to 1981 at ADP. My mother, Frances M. Eldridge, worked at Lockheed for over a decade. My brother (James R. Shanks) and my cousin (Barbara Shanks) worked there as well!