Saturday, April 13, 2013

I Was a Riveter at “Boy’s Town”

I still have my first pay envelope
by George S.

I started work as a riveter on March 25, 1941, at the Glenn L. Martin Company in Middle River, Maryland, at 50 cents an hour. The company was affectionately called “Boy’s Town” due to the youth of the men working in this new field of aviation. I still have my first pay envelope, in which cash was the method of weekly payment. I worked on the first B-26 Marauders (except for a short break in the United States Army). I met Glenn L. and his mother, Minta, when she christened the “Martin Mars” flying boat in November 1942. Mr. Martin, an avid sports fan, built a baseball field in front of the engineering building and would watch as other employees and I played baseball. After my release from the service, I again worked on the B-26B and, later, the B-57 Canberra Bomber. I was promoted to supervision during this time. In 1960, I transferred to the Denver division. After many years working on Titan missiles, Skylab projects, and supporting launches at Vandenberg Air Force Base and in Florida, I retired in 1988. Now age 90, I’ve enjoyed 25 years of retirement, and retain fond memories of my experiences with the company. I have enjoyed many travels with my wife of 64 years, in great part due to the benefits provided by the company. My wife passed on in 2010, but I continue to enjoy sharing my memories with others. I could not have selected a better company for which to work. Many thanks.

A World War II Recruiting Poster