Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Year Was 1943

It marked the beginning of an “illustrious” career
by Homer W.

My first contact with Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank was in 1943, when I applied for employment as an engineering draftsman. As a 19 year-old and subject to the World War II draft, I was not considered. However, at that time, I did experience the sight of the Lockheed plant hidden under a camouflage netting to guard against attack by Japanese aircraft!
My second contact with Lockheed was in 1949 during the Korean War build-up when I was hired by George Flower as a technical illustrator at the rate of $1.25 per hour. I was given five cents more per hour because of previous experience as an illustrator.

Of particular note, during those years at Burbank, I and another artist, Eldon Kaeding, and several engineers working in preliminary design under the leadership of Chief Engineer Irv Culver, prepared the new business proposals that led to the establishment of Lockheed Missiles and Space Company (LMSC) at Van Nuys.
A few years later, LMSC moved to buildings on Hanover Street at Palo Alto and then to the new plant being built at Sunnyvale. At that point, I transferred from the plant at Burbank to LMSC. Under Ed Lawton and supervisors Eldon Kaeding, Paul Szarvas and Clete Nelson, I spent the next 21 years as an art coordinator and supervisor working in Space Systems Division (SSD) Technical Publications on such projects as the Agena, Space Shuttle and Hubble Space Telescope.
Thanks Lockheed Martin for a great career! Happy 100th!