Friday, April 12, 2013

Proud to Be a “First”

I was a pioneer for women in logistics
by Peggy M.

From 1965 to 1974, I was a programmer and analyst project leader for Financial Data Systems. In the late 1960s, as part of our technology innovation efforts, I presented our Light Pen applications to the IBM Guide Conference in Chicago to 750 IBM users from around the globe.

I was president of all the Lockheed Missiles and Space Company (LMSC) management association chapters. As vice-president of community affairs, LMSC sponsored 13 Junior Achievement companies, winning most awards given during the 1973–1974 school year. Our executive sponsor was Vice President of Missile Systems Division (MSD) Dr. Derald Stuart.

In 1974, I was incredibly honored to be selected as Lockheed’s first woman manager in MSD logistics for budgets, cost analysis and proposals. Over the next 18 years, I was manager of logistics missile body, support equipment and re-entry body organizations for Polaris, Poseidon and Tridents I and II. 

I was involved in support discussions with our myriad of vendors from across the United States and our submarine bases in Bremerton, Washington; Charleston, South Carolina; and Kings Bay, Georgia. I was also involved in negotiations and presentations to NAVPRO in Sunnyvale, California, and SSPO, in Crystal City, Virginia. The logistics support portion of the Trident II proposal earned me a coveted year-end cash award for superior performance.

I retired from LMSC in Sunnyvale in 1992 and have owned and operated the Groveland Hotel in Groveland, California, for the past 22 years. My other “claim to fame,” was my association with Elvis Presley. We were schoolmates at Humes High School, Memphis, Tennessee, and we were neighbors. 

I guess this is my other "claim to fame!"