Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cold War Heroes

My relationship with Lockheed Martin began in 1961 with the Neptune
by Jim S.

At 8:00 p.m. on October, 8, 1961, I answered the telephone and it was the Personnel Officer of the Reserve Squadron. He said, “Jim, I'm sorry but we have been activated!” That call began my very close association with Lockheed Martin, flying P2V-5Fs in VP-933. I stayed in the Navy and flew on P-3s in VP-8, then VP-4. I retired from the Navy and worked for heritage companies (LTV, Loral Missiles, General Dynamics) and Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. Before retirement, I worked on the PAC-3 system.

I now live on a small ranch. I miss the dynamics of working at Lockheed Martin because of the close teamwork and the excitement of new products. I am in the process of building a scale remote control model of the P2V we flew.


The Orion at Barber's Point Naval Air Station