Thursday, March 21, 2013

Challenge and Perseverance

A “funny” thing happened on the way to my interview
by Andy S.

In 1986, a Lockheed Missiles and Space manager flew me to Denver to be interviewed for a position. En route from the airport to the office, my rental car inexplicably caught fire. As I was standing on the side of the highway watching the car burn, I fretted that I would be late for the interview (no cell phone back then). I flagged down a passing rancher who was driving a load of hay and I explained my situation. He kindly told me to climb aboard and drove me to the office. I arrived late, a bit disheveled, and explained the reason for my tardiness to the managers. They apparently admired my resourcefulness because a few days later I was offered the job. That introduction to Lockheed Martin led to a 13-year career in Colorado.