Monday, March 11, 2013

Proud to Support Naval Innovation

The experiences and knowledge were priceless
by Paul K.

I started my career with Lockheed Martin heritage companies. As a senior engineer at Unisys, I worked on the Guided Missile Frigate (FFG-7) program. I was fortunate to finish building the MK92 Combat System and integrating its peripheral radars and guns. The MK92 included AN/UYK-7 and AN/UYK-42 computers, which controlled the system.

At Loral, I was part of the system integration team working on the Amphibious Transport Dock (LPD-17) replacement program. The first 16 LPDs, were reaching their 30-plus-year-old transports.

Then, I transferred to Manassas, Virginia, to work on the Virginia-class submarine program as manager of the production. Production started right after the Navy accepted the first SSN-774.

I remained the production manager for SSN-774 as it was melded into the Acoustic Rapid Off-the-Shelf Insertion program (A-RCI), where the model of inserting new technology every two years was deployed in the operation submarine fleet. As part of the reorganization, I became the A-RCI deputy program manager, keeping pace with the upgrades and modernizations of early delivered Virginia-class systems.

I enjoyed my 22-year career and feel that the experiences gained and knowledge I was able to share with others will remain with me for many years.