Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Living My Creative Dream

I am forever grateful to Lockheed Martin
by Ken B.

Lockheed Martin made a huge impact in the lives of my family. My father, George, and four of my brothers (Dwight, Hoyt, Weyman and Klevin) all worked at Lockheed at some point in their career. At 23 years old, I started working as a structural assembler. During the next 17 years, I worked my way up to dispatcher in office and technical. In 1985, I moved to Nashville to pursue my music career. Using the skills I acquired at Lockheed, I secured a job at the Nashville division of another aerospace company. At night, I worked at my “day job,” allowing me to build my music companies during the day.
In the early 1980s, my music partners and I signed The Chuck Wagon Gang to our Copperfield Records label. With the success of The Gang, Copperfield Records signed other country and gospel artists and became home to The Northems, The Ruppes and Naomi & The Segos.  The label also released packages by superstars Oak Ridge Boys and J. D. Sumner.
Our music publishing companies have had songs cut by LeAnn Rimes, Lee Ann Womack, Montgomery Gentry, Kenny Rogers, Linda Davis, Steve Holy, Craig Morgan, Jeff Carson and Loretta Lynn. Copperfield’s biggest single was Montgomery Gentry’s, Daddy Won’t Sell the Farm.
It has been many years since I worked at Lockheed Martin. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have worked there because it gave me the ability to support my family while I pursued my creative dreams.