Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In Awe of Aerospace

I have such fond memories of my career
by Henry B.

I went to work for Martin Marietta Aerospace in 1972, having been a customer service engineer for the first commercial inertial navigation system, the Carousel IV installed on the first 747s. I was hired by a small venture called Martron Systems, located in downtown Littleton, Colorado. Martron manufactured automatic test equipment used by the airlines to test avionics equipment. Martron had a contract to deliver a test program for the INS, but had been unable to make it work. I was successful in writing the test programs (in a language called ATLAS), much to the delight of management. I recall I was given the weekly prize of two free tickets to a Denver Broncos game! I went on to work on a variety of programs, including working at JPL in Pasadena, validating the software on the Galileo spacecraft. It was the start of a long career in aerospace, although I have fond memories of Waterton.