Thursday, March 28, 2013

Bringing Satellite Communications to Africa

It was an honor and a privilege that I will never forget
by Howard B.

I was privileged to assist in ceremonies inaugurating earth stations, bringing satellite communications to the African continent. I met President Mobutu Sésé Seko on two occasions, with the last visit for dedication of the earth station in Zaire. Later, at the ceremony for inauguration of the station in Morocco, it had been prearranged that King Hassan II would speak with President Nixon. I spoke briefly with the president before passing the call to the king. Later, I spoke with President F. W. de Klerk during the ceremony dedicating the beginning of satellite communications to the Republic of South Africa. I shall always remember these ceremonies and my years of travelling to African countries to improve communications to the United States.