Thursday, March 28, 2013

Forty Years in Aerospace

My career began in 1959 with the Martin Company
by Donald B.

Right after graduating from college in 1959, my first job was at the Martin Company in Denver, Colorado, working in systems integration on the Titan I and II missiles. Time passed, and I eventually ended up at Skunk Works in Burbank. I was a project engineer on a classified underwater vehicle system, which, I think, eventually led the Sea Stealth vehicle.
After this program ended, I went to work in systems safety working for Tony Isles (now deceased) focusing primarily on the S-3A and P-3 Orion airplanes. Part of my job was to set up and maintain files of all reportable accidents and incidents to identify and correct potential problems with these aircraft before they occurred.
When Lockheed decided to move the offices to Mississippi and close the Burbank plant, I was offered a job there. However, I decided I did not want to leave my home and family here in California so I took the offered buy out and went to work for Rockwell in Anaheim, again working on underwater vehicles.
I retired in 1999 and have been doing a lot of travelling and doing volunteer work here in Orange County.