Friday, March 22, 2013

No Boundaries

I saw our impressive global footprint
by Ronald S.

My career with Lockheed began in December 1981, and I was assigned to three main departments. In the customer training section, I taught foreign students avionics technology. Next, I was assigned to the field service department as a C-5 field service representative, serving in Germany and Spain. Here, I assisted United States Air Force technicians with difficult problems, aided in aircraft recovery and taught aircraft systems within Europe. My next, and final, assignment was with the maintainability and supportability department. Here, I wrote FIM/FRM for C-130 and C-5 aircraft, and inspection procedures for the C-5 aircraft. My final project was the FIM/FRM for the C-5 AMP program.

I would like to share one last item of interest. While on assignment in Spain, I obtained a copy of a 1943 Spanish Reader’s Digest, which contained a Lockheed advertisement. I have included a copy of the ad below. The headline reads, “There Are No Boundaries in the Skies.” (It could also be translated as, “The Sky Is the Limit.”) The copy translates as, “Man has always looked to the skies for help and inspiration, and he will also find his triumph and future there. Today, Lockheed is building large and powerful war planes … symbols of all the good that the Americas represent, and of the freedoms that we fight to defend today. Lockheed Aircraft Corporation, Vega Aircraft Corporation, Burbank, California, U.S.A.”

The tagline is translated as, “With Lockheed Always on the Leading Edge.” This statement holds true decades later. Happy 100th Anniversary!

These words are relevant even today.