Sunday, March 24, 2013

I Turned 98 on November 8, 2012

My memories include the Hudson Bomber and the day after Pearl Harbor
by William E.

I hired in as a riveter in April 1939 for the P-38 at Department B-1 until they opened Plant A-1. I later became a machinist. When working on the Hudson Bomber. they immediately shipped each one out to England, many flown by women ferry pilots.

One time they ran out of certain parts on the engine for the P-38s and had to store the planes all over the airfield at the B-1 Plant until the parts came in.

After December 7, 1941, we finished our shifts on a Friday afternoon. When we returned on Monday morning, they had completely camouflaged the facility. Employees from Warner Brothers Studios did it. The camouflage remained for many years.

I spent most of my career working as a lead man in Department 15-42. One time, I made a special fixture for the wings of the P2V Neptune Patrol Bomber which had a faulty part. Two of us received special commendations.

In the 1950s, I taught an apprentice class at the Burbank Adult Education. I had several apprentices that came to me later in their career to thank me for my teaching.

Another great memory was when the Constellation was finished, and we were given a ride out over the ocean.

I retired at the age of 59 in 1974. It was sad for me to see Lockheed move out of Burbank to Palmdale. I had a great career at Lockheed!


Here I am at Burbank Adult Education in the 1950s.