Monday, March 25, 2013

A "Tactical" Turn of Events

I don’t regret a single day
by Edward S.

In 1966, while stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, I decided four years as a clerk typist was enough and applied for cross-training. My application was approved, and I found myself on the way to Lowry Air Force Base, in Denver, Colorado, to train as a launch crew member for the Mace B missile, manufactured by the Glenn L. Martin Company.

This career path deviation in the Air Force had a significant effect on my life, even to this date. I spent the remaining 18 years in the Air Force working in missile-related career fields while stationed at Bitburg Air Base Germany; Kadena Air Base Okinawa; Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota; Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota; Vandenberg Air Force Base, California; and, finally, SAC Headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska. Additionally, I had many temporary duty assignments to all the other Minuteman and Titan military installations, as well as to associated aerospace contractor facilities. In 1984, when I was selected for promotion to Chief Master Sergeant, I explored my opportunities in the Air Force, as well as in private industry. After several interviews and job offers and considerations, I elected to turn down the E9 stripe and join the Martin Marietta team in Littleton, Colorado. This was one of the best decisions I ever made. Having retired from both the Air Force and Lockheed Martin, I believe I had the opportunity to work for two of the most ethical organizations, and I don't regret one single day of it.