Friday, March 29, 2013

Fourth-Generation Lockheed Martin Family

Our history here begins in 1928
by William K.

Our family has a combined 74-year four-generation history! In 1928, my grandfather, Robert, immigrated to the United States from Germany. He was a skilled machinist and he found work at the Glenn L. Martin Aircraft Company in Baltimore, Maryland. He worked there until his retirement in 1951. His son, my father (William O.), immigrated to the United States the year after my grandfather. He worked for Martin throughout World War II as a tool and die maker.
In 1969, I received a doctorate in electronic physics from Boston College and started my career at the Light Military Electronics Department at GE in Utica, New York. I had a variety of challenging and interesting research and development projects. I stayed at Utica for 22 years through the sales to Martin Marietta and Lockheed Martin. (We were encouraged to call them “mergers!”) In 1992, I took a “temporary” assignment at Naval Systems (an RCA heritage Company) in Moorestown, New Jersey.  This assignment stretched out to be 12 years. I took early retirement in 2004 after amassing 600,000 miles during my commutes. My only regret is that the nature of my work precluded publishing results and applying for patents.
Meanwhile, my daughter, Melissa, is now a senior software engineer. Her husband, Wayne, is  a software engineering manager. Both work at Lockheed Martin.