Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Martin P5M Marlin to the F-117 Nighthawk

I was fresh out of the Air Force in 1951
by Bernard B.

In 1951, fresh out of the Air Force, I was hired by the Glenn L. Martin Company. I worked on the P5M Marlin, the P6M SeaMaster and on tooling for the C-5A Galaxy, as Martin had a subcontract with Lockheed for wing tools. I left Martin and went to work for a long list of airlines and aerospace companies. Many of them no longer exist.

Later, I went to work for Lockheed in 1970. I worked as a flight line mechanic on the SR-71 Blackbird at Site 2. I also worked on the L-1011 flight line. I made templates for the CP-140 Aurora, Have Blue and the F-117 Nighthawk. I spent the last 10 years with Lockheed as a liaison engineer, working the F-117 final assembly line in Buildings 309/310 and 351. When the assembly line shut down, I retired. I belong to Star Dusters, because it keeps me connected to my Lockheed Martin experience.