Saturday, March 2, 2013

Getting Paid for My Passion

I was an offer I just couldn’t refuse
by Danny L.

Upon graduating from University of California, Berkeley in 1963, I was interviewed by Steve Temshiv for a stress analysis position on the F-111 program in Fort Worth at the then-General Dynamics plant. Steve was concerned that I would not leave California, but was reassured when he found that I was originally from South Dakota. My two job offers were Fort Worth with a defense draft deferment or Vietnam with the United States Army. Ken Hensley, my first lead and lifelong friend, asked me to get engine mount drawings from the designer and determine if the size was right. "How do I do that?" I asked. Ken replied, "Just use what you learned in college," and so I did and continued to do for 44 years. The company never did learn that I was amazed that they would pay me for playing with airplanes.