Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Mission Is Service

It’s has always been my passion
by John M.

I’ve always loved aviation. I received my pilot’s license through the flying club, and spent 18 years in the Air National Guard and 20 years in the Civil Air Patrol. And, I worked at Lockheed Martin in Marietta, Georgia, from 1962 until 1996. There, I started as a burr hand and moved up to planning with 18 different classifications.

While at Lockheed Martin, I became squadron commander of the Civil Air Patrol in Georgia. In 1990, we were awarded the Unit of Destination for the Southeast region. In 1991 and 1992, we were recognized as the outstanding unit in Georgia.

A fond memory is when we took sixteen cadets and four senior members to Hawaii on a C-130, and spent the weekend on the Yorktown, air refueling flights. I’ve worked many air shows, flew search and rescue and worked the ground team. For the last 12 years, I have managed a senior center in Spring City, Tennessee.

Air-to-Air Refueling