Saturday, March 9, 2013

An Out-of-this-World Career

I supported the first manned lunar landing in 1969
by Vernon T.

I spent my career working on space projects, including the Skylab, International Space Station, Hubble Space Telescope and almost every single Space Shuttle mission.

I first hired with Philco-Ford back in February 1967 with Project Blue Fortune, and was assigned to Korea. In 1968, I was assigned to NASA at Langley, Virginia, working simulation of the lunar landing chamber and the rocket test chamber. I was offered a transfer to Western Development Laboratories (WDL), and was then assigned to NBAS in New Boston, New Hampshire. There, I worked on numerous classified space programs, including the very first manned lunar landing in 1969.

At that time, Philco-Ford became Aeronutronic Ford and Ford Aerospace, which was later purchased by Loral Space Corporation. About two years later, Lockheed Martin bought the San Jose WDL division. I eventually retired with nearly 37 years of combined service. I'm proud of the contributions I made and after six years of retirement, I still keep in contact with co-workers and watch the development of space programs.