Sunday, March 3, 2013

Who’s Who of Aircraft—P-38 to L-1011

It began in 1938 as Employee Number 110
by William A.

In May 1938, Lockheed put an ad up in my school for a drafting class. My teacher, Svend, took me to Lockheed’s personnel department, and there I become Employee Number 110, later 000110. I worked on the blueprint machine in the engineering department, and was transferred to the sheet metal department. I was later transferred to the 414 Hudson bomber fuselage line, where I started on ship number 14. When the YP-38 Lightning was transferred to plant B1, I started on number 3, putting fillets around the cockpits. At this time, the moving line for the P-38 was put into place. After working on over 3,000, I did two years in the service after which I returned to the P-80 Shooting Star line to hang nose gears. I worked on the first two C-130 fuselages. I then was made lead man to help make aluminum fuel cells for NASA. After being transferred to B1, I went with a crew to Turkey to update the F-104 for the Turkish Air Force. Then, we started the L-1011. My crew built the mock-up S-duct, which we took to England to mate with the Rolls Royce jet engine, which blew up. Returning to Burbank, we built the titanium assembly, which supported the horizontal stabilizers. I took early retirement on October 29, 1976, to take care of my paralyzed wife.

I worked on over 3,000 P-38s!